Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Washington DC



Last week I went to Washington DC with my friend Kristi.  She asked me to come along to help with her kids, but she has really good kids so it was more fun than it was work.  I tease a little in the first pic, but the kids did great on that LOOOONG car ride!  Thanks Kristi for having me along!  And thanks to your sister and her family too!




When we arrived, everyone kept asking me what I wanted to see, because it was my first time there.  I told them I wanted to go to the Smithsonian, and I about hit the floor when they said "Which one?"  I didn't know there was more than one... so I picked the Hirschorn museum of modern art.  Most people hate modern art because it "doesn't make sense" but I think it is fun and different.  I like how you can interpret it any way you want.  Like I think the sculpture in the pic below looks like a big pile of old school stamps!




I think the kids liked the waterfountain best...




I like when art is sort of interactive as well... 




In this pic I am standing in front of "Les Bourgeois de Calais" it is a Rodin sculpture that was on my AP Art History exam " I am a much better photographer when I am not also the subject:)  



I put this same picture on my photo blog, can you spot at least 3 differences?




The next day Kristi's sister was kind enough to stay with the kids so Kristi and I got to go to some more museums.  We went to The Museum of Natural History for like 5 seconds just to see the hope diamond... which was not as big, or as cool, as I thought it would be.  But there was a giant squid downstairs so it was worth it.   We spent most of our time at the National Gallery of Art.  I was in heaven.




I was surprised at the size and beauty of this Degas.  The text books never really do the paintings justice!




We thought it would be fun to drive by the White House.  We got lost first, and then stuck in traffic... and we were stuck for a long time....




So, I made an art quiz for you to do while you wait for us to find our way.  Name the artist.  Answers posted in comments.



Just when all hope was lost...




One of the coolest things we saw was the Washington National Cathedral.  It was HUGE! and super cool.  There was even a Darth Vader gargoyle!




This made me laugh. At the bottom it says "Children, obey your parents in all things."




I sent a text, and posted on facebook, that "I went to the back of a penny today..." no one got it.  But that was our first stop on our last day of touring.  We saw all the memorials, and I was most impressed by the Vietnam Memorial.  I never imagined just how long it was and how many many names there were.  It was quite the experience.




Here is me, and the very bottom, of the 16th prez statue.




This is how the little one spent most of the day.




We ended our last day of DC touring with ice cream.  I think that is the part the kids enjoyed the most!  And secretly, me too!

3 comments:

  1. 1. Vermeer 2. Raphael 3. LaTour 4. Van Eyck 5. Mary Cassatt 6. Hals 7. Grunewald 8. Rodin 9. Toulouse Latrec

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a wonderful trip Malisa! I haven't been to DC for years and this makes me want to go back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. only got 3 right, but i did put rodin first and had raphael down for another painting. oh well!

    i had to click on this link since we are heading to DC in july. thanks for getting me excited!

    i have a blog that i randomly update at www.hinckleyhouse.blogspot.com

    glad you had fun.

    ReplyDelete